This year we started publishing here three times a week about all things real estate investing and financial freedom! If you're new here, or simply haven't been able to stay up-to-date with our posts, this end of year roundup is for you! Here are the top ten most visited blog posts of 2017:
- 5 Must-Read Books for Real Estate Investors - This post is based off the premise that you don't need to read every single book on the market in order to become successful in real estate investing. We compiled a list of five must-read books to help you learn about the best investing strategies, taxes, business principles, and more!
- How to Secure Funds to Purchase Rental Properties at Zero Percent Interest - This year Natali and I discovered a financing strategy that allowed us to secure $176k in zero interest business credit lines. This was a game-changer for expanding our portfolio, so I felt compelled to share my experience.
- Flipping Houses vs Owning Rental Properties - Flipping houses and owning buy and hold rental properties are two of the most popular real estate strategies. These two strategies work very differently, and generally I recommend you choose one path. In this blog post, you'll learn how to determine which one is right for you.
- 10 Tax Deductions for Real Estate Investors - My favorite tax accountant Tom Wheelwright likes to say, “if you’re a real estate investor and you’re paying taxes, then you’re doing something wrong!” One of the top benefits of real estate investing is the enormous overall implication on your tax burden. This post details ten important deductions you should discuss with your accountant.
- Exponentially Growing Your Real Estate Portfolio - Smart investors know that if you want to rapidly expand your portfolio, you'll have to use leverage! I've watched investors go from one rental property to a robust portfolio in a short few years by utilizing a strategy outlined in this popular blog post!
- The Real Estate Investor's Guide to: The 4-Hour Workweek - New York Times Bestseller, The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss is chock-full of useful information about living a deliberate lifestyle, and allocating time intentionally. This aligns perfectly with real estate investing, and in this post you'll learn why.
- How to Evaluate Debt Service on a Rental Property - If you have to take out a loan, you should figure out if it makes sense financially. In this post, I outlined how to evaluate if you can maintain positive cash flow with a loan in place.
- The 411 on ROI - Return on investment is the single most important metric to consider when you're assessing a real estate investment. I shared my trusty ROI formula, and why it's paramount to your success as an investor.
- Should I Get a Loan for My Rental Property? - How can you determine if you should get a loan on an investment property? Does it make sense financially to invest if you have to accrue debt to do so? We get this question all the time, and in this post you'll learn how to make the best decision for your unique situation.
- The Powerful Appeal of Single-Family Housing - If you're running the numbers, it might appear that purchasing a multi-family investment is a better choice. On paper, the ROI is higher. But long-term, single-family properties seem to make a better investment vehicle and you'll learn why in this post!
Related: Top Ten Podcast Episodes of 2017!