If you know anything about my personal investing strategy, you know I’m a huge advocate of buying real estate in a self-directed IRA. But more than anything, I also believe that there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all investing strategy. We all have different finances and different goals. What works for me might not work for you, or vice versa.
To to help you determine if a self-directed IRA is right for you, I’m going to run through some of the pros and cons of using a self-directed IRA to invest in real estate. Join me for episode 886 of Investing in Real Estate to learn more about buying real estate inside of a self-directed IRA!
More About This Show
- More freedom and more control. This is truly what makes the self-directed IRA stand out from any other retirement plan. The self-directed IRA is flexible and allows for a wide variety of asset types, including real estate. I love that I can choose the specific investments that make up my retirement portfolio… I’m not relying on some financial advisor or company to choose my investments for me. I do have another video that goes into some of the specific investment types you can use, but for the purpose of this video, the self-directed IRA allows you to buy real estate, and for me, that’s a huge win.
- Higher returns. When you invest in a regular stock-based retirement plan, you’re vulnerable to the swings of the stock market. But because you have more control with a self-directed IRA, you can choose tangible assets with a potential for higher returns & protection from the stock market.
- Tax-free growth. In addition to the tax benefits of a traditional IRA, a self-directed account has an added bonus. All income that you make inside of your self-directed IRA grows tax-free.
- Easy to set up. A self-directed IRA can be set up over the phone in about 10 minutes, and it’s simple to fund the account or transfer funds from an existing 401k or IRA.
- It’s not a cash flow strategy. If you’re investing for immediate cash flow, a self-directed IRA is not the path you want to go. This is a retirement account, so you won’t be seeing any cash in your pocket for a while.
- Strict rules and regulations. In order to protect the tax-free status of the account, the IRS runs a tight ship. There are a lot of rules in a self-directed account, so if you’re not a rule-follower, this strategy might not be right for you.
- No hands-on approach with your property. While in many ways you have more control with a self-directed IRA, there are some ways in which you actually have LESS control with your actual investment. The IRS prohibits sweat equity, meaning you’re not able to do any work on your property. The IRA must hire and pay someone to do any repairs. If you’re the kind of investor that likes to do-it-yourself, you may want to consider a different investing strategy.
Book a Call with Our Team
Rhone.com/investing ← Use code INVESTING to save 20% on your entire order!
ZBiotics.com/INVESTING ← Get 15% off your order with code INVESTING!
morrisinvest.com/bootcamp ← Download your FREE 90-Day Bootcamp!
Subscribe to Investing in Real Estate on iTunes
Find Your Financial Freedom Number
Subscribe to the Morris Invest YouTube channel
Like Morris Invest on Facebook
DISCLAIMER: I am not a financial adviser. I only express my opinion based on my experience. Your experience may be different. These videos are for educational and inspirational purposes only. Investing of any kind involves risk. While it is possible to minimize risk, your investments are solely your responsibility. It is imperative that you conduct your own research. There is no guarantee of gains or losses on investments.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Some of the links on this channel are affiliate links, meaning, at NO additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase and/or subscribe. However, this does not impact my opinion. We recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make if you decide to use their services. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Ready To Build Passive Income Through Rental Real Estate?
Ready to talk about your goals? We're here to show you the tools and teach you the process to begin earning legacy wealth for you and your family.