I would venture to say that most investors hold misconceptions and make mistakes when they’re starting out. I know that I did! Many of us learn through this process. You shouldn’t beat yourself up if you overpay on your first rental or make extraneous renovations. What’s important is that you learn from those mistakes, and get your strategy on the right path.
Today I’m sharing five things that many new real estate investors do incorrectly the first time around! If you want to avoid headaches and make real estate investing as easy as possible, don’t make these mistakes! Here are five major mistakes a typical newbie investor makes:
- Falls in love with real estate. It doesn’t matter what your rental property looks like. All rental homes are simply four walls and a roof. Return on investment is the number one metric that will make you successful as a real estate investor! Effective investors fall in love with ROI, not a cute little bungalow with beautiful landscaping in a charming neighborhood.
- Purchases properties in the wrong rental markets. New investors might begin searching for properties in their city on Zillow, or drive around their neighborhood looking for local homes for sale. But successful investors know that the most profitable, worthwhile investments are most likely not located in their backyard.
- Manages their properties on their own. Hiring a property management team makes real estate investing simple and passive! A skilled property management team is an indispensable part of your success, and will make your business scalable.
- Underestimates expenses. In my ROI formula, I remove 40% for vacancies, repairs, and expenses. Expenses are inevitable in any business, and real estate investing is no exception. Be conservative with your numbers, and ensure you can cover any expenses that should arise.
- Gets discouraged quickly. If you want to play the long game as a real estate investor, you have to understand that gaining cash flow is a process, and there are a couple of phases to go through before you reach your ultimate goal.
Ready To Build Passive Income Through Rental Real Estate?
Ready to talk about your goals? We're here to show you the tools and teach you the process to begin earning legacy wealth for you and your family.