This episode of Investing in Real Estate is brought to you by Away. Visit awaytravel.com/iire and use promo code IIRE during checkout for $20 off your first luggage order.
There are many factors to consider before choosing the perfect rental market as a real estate investor. One important factor to consider is crime rate. Certain rental markets have a high crime rate, making them problematic for investors.
On this episode, I’m listing the five cities with the highest crime rates for real estate investors. I’ll give an overview of the cities, why their crime rate is high, and more. Join me for episode 87 of Investing in Real Estate!
More About This Show
This topic is not meant to deter you from real estate investing. If you’ll recall episode 27, I actually find most crime data websites to be inaccurate. My intent is to arm you with information, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
I’m also not discussing the most dangerous cities in America. I’m talking specifically about rental markets where you could potentially still earn a high ROI on your properties, but crime in the area is a deterrent. Here are the five cities with the highest crime rates for real estate investors:
5) St. Louis, Missouri. This city has been hit hard recently, economically. Earlier this year, record-breaking floods devastated the city. Where there are economic hardships, there is typically high crime, and that rings true for St. Louis.
4) Memphis, Tennessee. Memphis was number one on our list of cities with the highest vacancy rates. Memphis experienced difficulties during the recession, and hasn’t quite recovered since. The crime in the area is staggering, therefore it’s very challenging for investors to find stable properties in Memphis.
3) Birmingham, Alabama. In Birmingham, the violent crime statistics are higher than the national average. Crime can deter renters, so Birmingham is not the safest choice for investors.
2) Little Rock, Arkansas. In Little Rock, there are very few jobs and high crime. That combination makes the market one of the least safe for investors.
1) Detroit, Michigan. There are endless factors that play into why Detroit tops this list: vacancy rate, lack of city services, infrastructure problems, and more.
If you’re ready to begin building a passive income through rental real estate, book a FREE call with my team today. We’re ready to talk about your goals and want to help you learn more about earning legacy wealth for you and your family.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- What is the link between vacancy rates and crime rates?
- Is it possible to find good investments near these neighborhoods?
- What does the future look like for Detroit?
- And much more about buy and hold real estate!
Visit awaytravel.com/iire and use promo code IIRE for $20 off!
EP027: Why Crime Data Websites are Garbage for Real Estate Investors
EP087: The Five Cities with the Highest Vacancy Rates
Find Your Financial Freedom Number
Like Morris Invest on Facebook